Monday, June 25, 2007

A day of pot limit omaha

I had to cut my session short tonight since it's softball night. I don't mind since softball is one of the things I really look forward to doing every week.

I've been trying to work a few kinks out of my game.. mostly i've been trying to not pay off people like a donkey on the river. I hate to say it like that since I believe one of my strongest skills in poker is picking off bluffs with semi-weak hands. I credit that skill alone to why I can consistantly turn a profit. It's just that lately i've been making some donkish calls on the river that could be added to the profit for my day instead of creating more work for me.

Example... 3/6 PLO. I call a raise to $21 preflop with Kc Ks 9s Jd in the cutoff with 3 other players in the pot.

Flop 9c 9d 8h

It checks around to me and I bet half the pot. I get called by one player and everyone else folds.

Turn 6c

My opponent leads out and fires a close to pot sized bet of $170. I call but this was my first mistake of the hand. This is where I need to let my hand go. The odds very much that my opponent has a full house. With all the possibilites in omaha it's very uncommon for someone to lead out the pot with anything less. Even if he made a bad call with 7 10 and turned a straight he's in the lead here bigtime. Still, I make the stubborn call most likely drawing at 5 outs.

River Qd

My opponant fires out $300 and I make the call. If I couldn't get away from my hand on the turn I should have been able to -easily- get away here. He turns over 9h 6s Ac 10h and yes.... he did infact have me totally crushed the entire hand. I don't know what my problem was to be honest with you. I consider pot limit omaha to be a game i'm very strong in yet I played this hand like a complete amateur with no clue. Let this be a lesson to you all.

The good news is that hand cleared my head pretty good and I ended up leaving the table with about $2300.

monday session results +1700

No comments: