Sunday, May 06, 2007

A new goal and a lesson learned....again

In two short length session (about 3 or 4 hours combined) i'm about +2500 for Wednesday and Thursday. Of all the hands I played the one I feel I played the worst is one that I won.

There was a raise to 35 to me in middle position with 88. I made the call and there was one call behind me.

Flop 8 10 2 rainbow

The original raiser bets out 55 and I thought about it and just called. My thinking was that this was mearly a continuation bet and that I would put my raise in on the turn. I was wrong in my thinking tho. I needed to protect my hand with a raise because the person behind me could easily have a 79 or J9 and call for their straight with the correct odds to do it. As it turns out, the person behind me called with his JQ and we went 3 handed to the turn.

Turn 9 board is now 8 10 2 9

Original raiser checks and I can't possibly check with 3 to a straight and a potential backdoor flush draw out there. I bet out 180 and am raised to 380 by the guy behind me. The original raiser folded and I make the call with about 4/1 pot odds which was the right odds to call but the point is that I should of raised the flop!
This is something I believe I would of done instinctively a month or two ago but when you take as long away from the tables as I did this last month and a half I think you tend to lose a little bit of the details.

River 8

Yes, this story has a happy ending. I put my opponent all in for his last 420 and he typed in "full house??" before calling off the rest of his chips. In hindsight I would of never won a pot this big if I raise the flop but its the correct play.


In other news, I have a new poker goal. In mid April I withdrew 4000 of the 4120.50 I had on Absolute Poker because the 5/10 NL games were drying up and I decided I wanted the cash to play live. I left myself 120 because I wanted to see if I could build off a small bankroll like I used to do back in the day. I started playing one 2/4NL short handed game. I built to about 1200 then dropped to about 800. Today I took my 800 to 1100 at 2/4 and decided to sit at the 10/25NL game that was going. I played tight looking for a spot to move it in. I called a raise to 75 with A7ss and got a Ad 9s 4s flop. I took out AK and was at 2000. Then I flopped top set against a flush draw and I now have about 4000 again in my absolute account. My goal is to turn this 120 into 12000. I will keep you posted.

Saturdays session results -700
Sundays session results +2900


No comments: