Monday, May 21, 2007

Omaha

Two short session today. I miss pot limit omaha so that's what my first session primarily consisted of. Omaha is such a beautiful game. It's a game of endless possibilities. I was distracted with chat windows so I played one 2/4 PLO and one 1/2 PLO hi-lo. Split pot games aren't my specialty by any means but I do feel I still have an advantage in the lower limit games because of my PLO experience.

One reason I love PLO so much? Re-draws. A situation where you and another player flop the nuts but someone is also drawing at a better hand for the whole pot. A perfect example came up today. The pot wasn't huge but it demonstrates the concept perfectly.

I was holding 9h 6h 2d 7c in an unraised pot. Two other players saw the flop with me.

Flop 4h 5h 3c

The first player to act bets out the pot which was $24. The next to act folds and I have a very juicy situation. I have the nuts and I assume my opponent does too. The correct play here is to raise. If my opponent also has 6 7 he will want to get his chips all in the pot and I will very likely be freerolling for my flush and the whole pot.

I raised to $96 total and my opponent moved it in for his last $140. I called and he showed 6s 7d Qs 10d for the flopped straight. The best he could do was tie me here.

Turn Jd

River 10h for the whole pot.

I ended that session +300 and when I came back from bowling last night I played a quick 30 minute session of 10/20NL and finished +500.

Sunday session results +800

1 comment:

Chawwles said...

Omaha's so fun. I used to play limit omaha HL as a branch off of my limit hold'em background, but got into NL holdem before I made my way to PLO. Next time Darsky and I are out we'll have to get a mixed home game goin.


Before we play Bonedoneskis, of course.