Friday, May 11, 2007

The super duper turbo sit & go

This last week has been really good for me. I've been slowly getting back into the swing of things and putting in longer session. I feel like the love for the game that I lost is back now and i'm playing better than ever.

When I got up today I had a msg on MSN from Brad saying he was going to try and win a seat into the first FTOPS event in a 50+4 satellite he had won a seat into. When I went to see how he was doing there were 210/850 players left Brad's entire table folding around every hand so that they would all make it into the last 100 players which would pay a seat into event #1. I found it hilarious. What makes the story even better is his entire table made the money and won a seat.

Brad and I chatted on MSN for awhile and he told me about the super turbo sit n go's that FT was running for the event. I decided I was bored and registered for one. The concept was simple; 24+2, 100 chips per player, turbo blind levels and 15/30 starting blinds. The very first hand I picked up QQ and moved it in. I was called by two players with Ace rag and took a quick and commanding chip lead. I ended up winning the damn thing and saved myself a $200 buyin for the first event. Thanks Brad!

I swapped 25% stakes with Brad in the tourney and we both ended up falling short of the money. We were both eliminated in the low 1000's out of 2400 entrants. The next FTOPS event is the 100+9 PLO Rebuy tomorrow at 1:30. I want to play it... we'll see if I can get up by then. I'm getting pretty used to sleeping until 3:00ish again. Plus, last time I played in the PLO rebuy I rebought 9 times and needed to make top 20 to break even. Maybe i'll have more discipline this time around.....maybe

I didn't money the tournament but I did have some pretty good action going in the cash table on the side. One big hand was a a pretty bad case of a cold deck for the guy I busted.
I raised it up to $40 in 2nd position with Ac Ad. Player in seat 5 calls and everyone else folds. Flop Ah Jc 9h. I fire out $60 into the $90 pot and am instacalled by my opponent. I love this flop and I play it like I would if I had any other hand. I fire 2/3 of the pot. Turn As. Four aces makes me feel a whole lot better about my hand so I check to this guy and hope he bluffs at the pot. My hopes are realized as my opponent fires $135 into the pot. Now I have a real dilema on my hands... Do I raise him here because i'm out of position and risk him folding? Or do I smooth call and fire on the river? I elected to smooth call. River Qd. I check. Now, normally I wouldn't... I believe strongly that the best poker players are the aggressive players. Right here I genuinely believe he has a drawing hand that missed and the only way I can get maximum value from the hand is to let him bluff again. After all, if i'm right he's already bluffed at it once.. He will likely fire again. A long 10 seconds passed as my opponent thought about his next move. He fires $450 into the pot and I instantly move it in for his last $120. He calls, turns over his 9c 9s for the under full and I rake in the pot. As it turns out I could of played this hand almost any way after the flop and gotten my chips all in. It was still a fun hand nonetheless.

Friday session results +2500

1 comment:

Chawwles said...

quads are delicious